Boston Chinese Evangelical Church (BCEC) was founded in June 1961 by 18 brothers and sisters under the leading of Pastor James Tan. The founding members shared a common burden and vision in bringing the Gospel to the Cantonese-speaking Chinese immigrants in the Boston area. Worship services were first held in homes and later moved to rented spaces around Chinatown.
By the grace of God, this small group grew to about 150 and was able to build its own facility at 249 Harrison Avenue in 1979, which is still the main church building in Chinatown. With the larger space, the church was able to expand in other ministries, serving the believers and the people in the Chinatown community. Also that year, Pastor Jacob Fung became the senior pastor, in place of Pastor James Tan who was retiring.
The Lord continued to bless the church with growth. A separate English worship service was added in 1983 to serve the English-speaking younger generation. As the church continued to grow and the immigrants’ population became more disperse, a branch church was planted in Allston, in 1985. With more Mandarin-speaking immigrants arriving Boston, the church expanded again to establish a Mandarin congregation in 1999. After serving many years at the church, Pastor Steven Chin became the senior pastor in 2000 and continues to lead the growth of the church.
In an effort of continue to expand its ministries, the church acquired the Newton Campus in 2003 and established English and Cantonese congregations there.
As of today, we are one church with seven congregations ministering in three different languages, over two locations. Over 1200 adults and children attend church each week. With the leading of the Holy Spirit, we strive to witness God’s love in deeds with outreach ministries locally as well as supporting missionaries around the world.